Friday 4 May 2012

The wrong case London trip (1) 2012

I returned home from the London trip two weeks ago this coming Tuesday. I arrived early at Kings Cross Station having failed to resolve the problem of why the £25 added to the Oyster card had not registered and received a print out to confirm the position. It was only about a week after I returned home and noted that the £25 had not been returned that I enquired by telephone and the assistant explained that while it appeared that the £25 had been added when the account was checked it was confirmed that it had not. The only explanation possible is when I placed the card on the reader on arrival at St Pancras there were sufficient funds on the card to open the gate but I did not hold the card  down long enough for it to register that the addition which was lost in a card of limbo until the telephone contact. I pointed out that I had sent an email which appeared to have been ignored or also lost in the system. I selected a means for the money to be transferred back and have just checked that it was returned on May 4th.

This also reminded that I needed to also check if the payment previously made to Travel Lodge for the accommodation at Dartford during the Olympic games has been returned as it became possible for an additional payment of £30 overall to move to Croydon Central which will be that much more convenient although the trip for there to Wembley Stadium and back will be a long one although not as long or as potentially expensive as that from Dartford. It also means that if I decide to go up to the  Olympic Park site on the two middle days of the stay to watch events on the big screen I will be able to use the Oyster to go to St Pancras and from there take the fast service to thee Olympic Park

Since returning home the football programme has been announced. It will be remembered that I have tickets for football at St James Park and Wembley Stadium.

On Thursday 26th July I have a two match ticket at St James Park when Mexico Play Korea and Gabon play Switzerland from 2.30 and 7.15. However as England play Senegal at Old Trafford in the evening game I will decide on the day if I will stay for both match and view he England Game on Large screen TV somewhere in Newcastle or return home.   There are no other events on that day as the Opening ceremony is on the following evening.

On Sunday 29th July I also have a two match ticket this time as Spain play Honduras and Japan Morocco. I then travel London on July 31st expecting to arrive in Croydon mid afternoon. This would provide for doing something in the evening.  On August 1st I will miss Brazil v New Zealand at St James for Korea v Gabon at Wembley at 5.00 while Great Britain play Uruguay that same evening at Hampden Park. It will probably watch the England game somewhere in central London rather Croydon. I should have a travel card getting from Croydon into London and onto Wembley and back as part as the ticket deal.

I am yet to decide on the what I will be doing on the 2nd and 3rd although  I may try and get a hospitality package if one is available without bankrupting me for an Olympic site event.  On August 4th I could get to watch England Live if they finish second in their group  who will play the winner of Group B at  in the quarter final at Wembley  early afternoon. However more likely England will win their group and play group B runner up in Cardiff in the evening so again I will probably watch this match in central London before returning to Croydon.

I have  also checked out the hospitality packages which as I suspected for the Olympic Park cost  several thousand pounds for major events session although the hospitality in terms receptions, drinks and meals covers more time than the actual events!! However more within my sights is a package at Wimbledon for the Tennis.

Now I must confess what happened on my return journey on the Tuesday. I had a good look around the facilities at Kings Cross and eat the sandwich bought at the supermarket on my way to East Croydon station, having loaded the water into the flask for later; I was impressed with the free seating at tables on the first floor balcony overlooking the concourse in front of the carious restaurants. It was only later that I spotted two places selling breakfast rolls having opted out of a breakfast roll with sausages at East Croydon station. I bought two packets of spiced crisps for a £1.40 deal at Smiths

I was able to get myself a good seat at a table on the train only to find that power did not work and had to settle for a table with booked seats although there was one free on an aisle which I had to move to later and then across the aisle to another table when a seat became free which provided freedom of leg movement. In other respects the journey went well and I was able to write and review the events of the previous days.

Because I had to change compartments in a rush I had to place my case in front of others in the space between carriages missing out from the lower luggage rack where I had placed the case in the preferred seat. Later I was able to move the case to the luggage rack after the train had commenced to empty was we approached the North East, or at least I thought I had done this. At Newcastle I removed the case and went for the Metro, debating whether to go for fish and chips with bread and a cuppa High tea at the Wetherspoons. Not seeing this advertised outside and too lazy to enter I made my way home and got myself the cuppa while opening the post and then taking a quick look at the plants outside before checking e mails.

It was at this point the telephone rang and someone from Travel Croydon was speaking. I had brought home the wrong case. Fortunately I had kept the train and Travel Lodge papers in the top compartment of the case and this enabled me to be tracked. Without thinking I gathered the case and made my way to the station. It was only when I was on the Metro train that I realised I had been stupid for the second time that afternoon. I should have got the car out and taken the car direct to the station. It would have saved the heavy work and the time as well as having to bring my case back from the Metro up the hill to home. However the overall feeling was one of relief. What if the train had not stopped at Newcastle and continued to Aberdeen? What if the young man whose case I had taken had not returned to Newcastle when he was studying and lived and was able to sit in the bar with his friends waiting for my return? He was friendly and supportive even though the error was primarily mine. What had happened is that earlier on the journey my case had been moved back and the young man and his friends had moved their luggage in front of mine. I had then incorrectly moved his case to the luggage rack and home.  I had just been at the point of going for the file of papers in the front of the case prior to unpacking when the phone rang.

At least on the way back I felt able to call in a supermarket for mushrooms, tomatoes, milk and lettuce. I could also not resist a packed of roast salted peanuts. This was my real downfall in celebrating that I not only kept to weight but lost a couple of pounds and was at 16.7 once more. However further indulgences wrecked the good work so that I have now a challenge to get back and lower than that 16.7 point.




No comments:

Post a Comment