Friday 20 April 2012

Kings Cross new Departure building

My trip to London has commenced exceptionally well. More by luck than intent I booked on the 10.25 which commences at Newcastle central so one therefore has a choice of seats and I was able to find a facing forward table and make use of the power point and use the lap top for the whole journey. I enjoyed the flask of orange juice and pawn mayo sandwiches with crisps as part of the meal deal purchased from Azda and eaten early having set off without breakfast.

I thought the omens were against when yesterday evening I went to collect the suit trousers from Sketchley’s at the Asda Bolden supermarket before attending a relay performance of Rigoletto from the Royal Opera House at the Cineworld. The dry cleaners were closed which was a disappointing surprise as I was convinced that the assistant had said the service was open until 8 pm except Sundays. I shopped for some travel tissues before going to ask the adjacent outlet if they knew the time of opening only to find it was open and the assistant had gone to the look. The cost of the clean and repair was £11.25.

I bought the meal deal and then went to the first floor for the socks. Meanwhile I had a minor panic because I could not find the credit cards which had slipped into the coat lining. I had with me the print out receipt with reference number and had forgotten that I also had the reference number on the mobile. The collect machine did not recognise the credit card perhaps because I did not punch in the reference number. The usual ticket desks were empty so had to go to the concession counter where the young man had no experience of the collect ticket and had to be shown every move. The added problem was that the reference number was barely decipherable and I had forgotten about the telephone message. However I was able to get an excellent seat on my own centre row and opera was stunning in every sense. I will write separately. We have reached York where there is a Giant Wheel opposite the station

I commenced preparations for the trip late, made a list and was systematic. I washed clothing and ironed, and bringing the case downstairs commenced packaging so that by this morning there was only a decision about a second pair of trousers and the shirts together with the getting up bag. I selected the thickest black trousers having packed the grey house jacket, having decided that the green coat and the dark grey light pinstripe suit did not go together despite the country gentleman look. The trousers needed an iron especially one of the leg edges.

In have brought soup packets plus cutlery, can opener and waste bags , but not tins. There will no croissants or pastries on this trip but the voucher from Smiths for Time Out covering my trip which provides for a Big Mac McChicken and medium fries for £2.19 may be used. I am now just above 16.7 and the loss of more than a stone and a half begins to have good effect in appearance, belt size and keeping trousers up. It is nearly five years since I was at this weight and I am determined to continue to under 15 now, amending the original target of under 16.

The plan is still to go to Lords tomorrow. Despite a weather forecast of potentially heavy showers. I bought the Time out for a check on cinemas as I have the Cineworld vouchers with me and planed to use at least one possibly two now. There is the Chelsea game tonight and QPR against Spurs on Saturday evening if the cricket is a washout or not going well. I plan to check out where I am staying in Olympic week in August where the is supposed to be an 18 mins fast ride to St Pancras where there is a direct line to Wembley Park. I missed out on the test event at the Olympic Park 18-22 but may go and see if there are returns or fresh tickets when I go for my looksee on Friday unless the weather is so poor tomorrow that going to Lords is not worth the effort. I have the Time Out London 2012 pocket Guide which reveals that the Pudding Lane DLR station is the best stop via Stratford. I want to go to Stratford for the new Shopping centre so will make a day of it and if entry on to the site is not possible without a ticket I shall go to the view box platform if that is also open.

I had some interest in the other passengers in the compartment close to me. A young man had also made a bee line for the adjacent table with computer, phone and earpiece. He resisted the coffee at £2.20 wanting some food snack but later went to the buffet and brought back a sandwich, I looked after his things while he was away. Two young men got on Darlington from Catterick camp I guessed. They did not have much with them. They were investigating futures outside and in the force. There were lots of phone calls. I wondered if they had been injured. There was the talk of army pension paid monthly. Their situation interested but confused. Later two young business men sat behind me. They were involved with the German market and had concerns about the person conducting training of German speaking(but what). They needed to find the right person. I wondered what SIPS stood for.

I had a coffee and drank the soup before the journey ended sorting everything out so I was read to leave on arrival. The train parked behind another. There is continuing work on station beyond the new bridge walkway between the platforms and where there are now new lifts as well as stairs on each platform. Above the area of the main train there is now the high arched roof with sky above.

The first development is the sense of open space as you leave the trains. The seats before the former departure board have been removed and now placed at the side so that those awaiting to meet travellers can sit until their arrival. It is possible to reach the new departure area via a small channel close to the new underground train entrance.

The new area is stunning, brilliantly lit and fully operational on both floors. There are some stores to one side still to be opened but it is as good as finished. It is remarkable in design and I will go back without luggage to fully explore. This I did on the following morning as it was evident that play at the cricket would limited. In fact there was no play at all or at the oval where Surrey are entertaining Worcester

This time I approached from the St Pancras station, having seen that the Boots Meal cost £3.79 or less compared to £2.50 back home. Later from Waitrose at Stratford Westfield, I purchased a cheese and celery sandwich with cold bottled water for £1.87. I mention this because at the far corner of the new departure building there is access to a pub restaurant. The Parcel Yard and which as the name suggests was used for parcel by the GPO in times past, Now situated on the first floor with left luggage below and toilets, similarly separate and distant from the main concourses for security reasons there is an attractive Dickension atmosphere Inn but with 21st style prices for food with starters in the £7 as well as puds and main courses £10-£22. I reckon a good three course meal here will set you back £30-£50. There is a large Costa Coffee on the ground floor, there are several restaurants with Terrace Tables on the first looking over the concourse.

Below the restaurants there are the usual suspects, Smiths, Boots and M and S and a small number of other outlets including one for books, There are opportunities for others. The former first class lounge has been retained with access from the area. One can still go directly onto the platforms by the entrance to the suburban stations or at the other by one of two entrances to the new underground warren to the underground stations for the Victoria, Northern, District, Circle and Metropolitan lines but you have to be prepared for long walks as these now take you either under the roadway to St Pancras at both of its ends or to the entrances to the various lines.

There appears to be a plethora of new ticket facilities as there were at the previous bookings office but with a separation from the separate underground ticketing so that advance purchase through the Oyster card system is highly recommended. There are two departure boards at each end of the concourse. I did not work out if it is still possible to position jump to avoid the rush as everyone goes early for the spare unreserved seats. I will check on this over the next three days. In addition to the spaciousness what catches the eye and makes for the splendid atmosphere is the vaulted ceiling which is lit in soft pink. I will need to check on the shade.

Outside there are major workings underway on both sides of the roadway primarily by taxis. With that along side St Pancras continue into the distance, Quite a few people were taking the pavement despite the rain, suggesting an explore when the weather is OK one day. For those used to the improvements made in recent years to other main line stations then the new Entrance facilities at Kings Cross may not create in them the sense of WoW I continue to experience. The building is worth a visit especially when the rest of the area has been developed as planned.

With the rain persistent and not likely to clear I settled for plan B which was to investigate progress at Stratford and the Olympic site.

No comments:

Post a Comment